Make sure you’re getting the most out of your cycling workout. Here are five tips for a safe & effective indoor cycling class.
1. Be sure your bike is set up properly. When your foot is at the bottom of your pedal stroke (the “6 o’clock position”), you should have a slight bend in your knee.
2. Set your handlebars at a position in which you can comfortably bend your elbows. In class, your instructor will be happy to help you with your bike settings.
3. Keep your feet flat in your pedals. This will allow you to push forward & downward. You will also be able to effectively pull up on the pedals. This will give you a more powerful pedal stroke.
4. Keep your spine in a neutral position while on the bike. Avoid rounding the shoulders or arching your back.
5. Always have enough resistance/gear on your bike so you do not bounce on your seat. Bouncing on the seat is out of control pedaling. If you begin to bounce, add more resistance/gear.